If I could summarize 2013 for Batman fans in one word, I think I’d go with “surprising”. We were just coming off of The Dark Knight Rises, and I think a lot of people assumed we’d be waiting a while before we saw Batman on the big screen again. I decided to start a new website, SpiderManNews.com, because I thought that things would be slow around here for a while. Boy was I wrong! In July 2013, Warner Bros. surprised everyone by announcing that Batman would be in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel sequel. Let’s take a look at the biggest stories on Batman News since that announcement was made. Below is a list of the most popular articles based on web traffic.
- Warner Bros. announces Batman/Superman movie for 2015
- Like I mentioned already, Warner Bros. surprised everyone when Zack Snyder came out to announce a Man of Steel sequel featuring Batman at Comic-Con. Even though the news leaked a couple of hours before the announcement, fans went nuts when it was “officially official”.
- Watch this: Batman/Superman Comic-Con announcement (video)
- Batman News reader and all around good guy, Adam Hlavac, was on the floor at Comic-Con, keeping me up to date with everything that was going on during Warner Bros.’ presentation. Batman News was one of the first websites to post audio of the big announcement, and shortly there after, Adam sent in a well produced 1080p HD video of the big news.
- Kevin Smith has seen Ben Affleck in the ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Batsuit (audio)
- In November, director/comic book geek Kevin Smith hosted a Man of Steel Q&A with director Zack Snyder. After the event, Snyder pulled Smith aside and showed him a picture of Ben Affleck in the new Batsuit on his iPhone! Smith described the costume as “something you haven’t seen in a movie before” and said there was a Jim Lee influence on the design.
- Ben Affleck finally comments on playing Batman, addresses criticism (video)
- After a ton of controversy surrounding his casting, Ben Affleck gave his first Batman interview on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Affleck talked about his meeting with director Zack Snyder, the internet’s reaction to his casting, and how Warner Bros. prepared him for some backlash.
- Exclusive: Check out the Gotham and Metropolis football jerseys from ‘Batman vs. Superman’ (photos)
- This was a big story that I was proud of. Technically Batman News shared the first Batman vs. Superman photos with the world! We learned that Zack Snyder was shooting a short football scene for the movie, and I received exclusive photos of the jerseys a few days before the shoot. Every movie blog online posted them and linked back to Batman News, it was a big day for the site!
So there you have it! Those were the most popular Batman vs. Superman stories on Batman News in terms of web traffic, but there are other big stories that deserve some recognition. Here they are in chronological order…
- Ben Affleck is Batman in ‘Batman vs. Superman’
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ to shoot in Detroit, Michigan early next year
- Cinematographer Larry Fong to shoot ‘Batman vs. Superman’
- First photos and details from ‘Batman vs. Superman’ football set (video)
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ to feature Nightwing? (video)
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ to feature semi-retired, drone controlling Batman
- Warner Bros. registers domain names for possible ‘Batman vs. Superman’ titles
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman in ‘Batman vs. Superman’
- Warner Bros. interested in Joaquin Phoenix for ‘Batman vs. Superman’ villain
- Oscar-winning ‘Argo’ writer to strengthen ‘Batman vs. Superman’ script
- Gal Gadot on Wonder Woman casting, fan criticism, training, and more (video)
2014 will certainly be a huge year for Batman fans. Batman vs. Superman will begin shooting, and we’ll have set photos, official photos, and trailers to look forward to. Batman News will be providing the best coverage online of the new movie, so set it as your homepage and check back often! Thank you all so much for making the site as big as it is today. I can’t wait for next year!
What was your favorite Batman vs. Superman story of 2013? Let me know in the comments below.