Warner Bros. just sent out a press release announcing more details about the January 29th release of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2. They also announced that television star Mark Valley (Human Target, Fringe) has joined the voice cast as Superman. The Blu-ray Combo Pack will include over two hours of bonus content. Check out the full press release after the break to learn more.
BURBANK, CA (December 17, 2012) – Batman must battle old friends and foes on two fronts in the epic animated conclusion to Frank Miller’s masterpiece in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2, the next entry in the popular, ongoing series of DC Universe Animated Original Movies. Produced by Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, the all-new, PG-13 rated film arrives January 29, 2013 from Warner Home Video as a Blu-ray™ Combo Pack ($24.98 SRP) and DVD ($19.98 SRP), On Demand and for Digital Download. The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack will include UltraViolet™*.
With Gotham City back under his watchful eye, and accompanied by able sidekick Robin, Batman continues to battle crime – but his resurgence awakens a far worse evil at Arkham Asylum: The Joker. In the meantime, Superman has been dispatched by the President to halt Batman’s unsanctioned reign by whatever means necessary. Between the Joker’s diabolical scheme to drag Batman to the darkest levels of insanity, and the Man of Steel’s seemingly invincible physical presence, the Dark Knight must confront adversaries and allies simultaneously while maintaining the peace in Gotham City.
Primetime television stars Michael Emerson (Person of Interest, Lost) and Mark Valley (Human Target, Fringe) join the voice cast as The Joker and Superman, respectively and popular talk show host Conan O’Brien gives voice to animated talk show host Dave Endochrine. Fanboy favorite Peter Weller (RoboCop, Dexter) continues as Bruce Wayne/Batman, and he is once again accompanied by David Selby (The Social Network, Dark Shadows) as Commissioner Gordon, Ariel Winter (Modern Family) as Carrie/Robin, and Michael McKean (This is Spinal Tap) as Dr. Bartholomew Wolper. Also featured in the voice cast is Maria Canals-Barrrera (Wizards of Waverly Place) as new Commissioner Yindel, Paget Brewster (Criminal Minds) as Lana Lang, and Radio Hall of Fame member Michael Jackson as Alfred.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 is directed by Jay Oliva (Man of Steel, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights) from a screenplay by Bob Goodman (Warehouse 13). Sam Register (Young Justice, Teen Titans, Ben 10), Bruce Timm (Justice League: Doom), Michael Uslan (The Dark Knight Rises) and Benjamin Melnicker (The Dark Knight Rises) are executive producers.
“Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 is epic animated filmmaking at its finest Crafted by an impressive team of filmmakers and voice talent alike it’s the perfect complement to the initial installment,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Home Video Vice President, Family & Animation and Partner Brands Marketing. “Just when you thought the story couldn’t become any more intense, the Joker and Superman arrive to up the ante – and Michael Emerson’s approach to the Joker is particularly chilling. This is a film no fan can do without.”
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 Blu-ray™ Combo Pack has more than 2 hours of exciting content, including:
- Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
- Sneak Peek at Superman: Unbound, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
- Featurette – “The Joker: Laughing in the Face of Death” – An all-new featurette. A fitting tribute to the Joker, giving perspective as to why this engrossing character is the true arch nemesis of Batman.
- Documentary – “Superman vs. Batman: When Heroes Collide” – An all-new documentary. Batman and Superman have a long history of friendship and conflict. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns brought an end to that conflict. This is the story behind that battle.
- Featurette – “From Sketch to Screen” – An all-new featurette. Director Jay Oliva gives a fascinating animatic breakdown of five of his favorite moments from Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
- Look Back – Sneak Pek at Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
- Two bonus episodes from Batman: The Animated Series (“The Last Laugh” and “The Man Who Killed Batman”) and an episode from The New Batman Adventures (“Legends of the Dark Knight”), all handpicked by producer Alan Burnett.
- Digital Comic – Excerpt from the graphic novel The Dark Knight Falls by Frank Miller.
*Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 offer is a limited time offer. Restrictions and limitations apply. Go to ultraviolet.flixster.com/info for details.