Now that’s what I’m talking about! This is the issue that I was dying for last time around, which I guess makes it all the more sweet. Just look at that cover; if there’s one thing Earth 2 has gotten right on a consistent basis, it’s the greatness of their covers. “Battle Cry” has my vote for the best so far, with graffiti-style images of Green Lantern, Flash, and Doctor Fate looking just awesome. From Green Lantern’s stern visage to Doctor Fate’s menace and Flash’s half-cocked smirk, the introduction to the Wonder/World’s Army/Steppenwolf war could not get off to a better start. It only gets better.
All is quiet on the western front of Dherain (ok, it’s “south, southeast front” but I like reading), until an impressive splash page ruins the day of some of Dherain’s finest. And did onrushing justice ever look so impressive.
Green Lantern has come into his own as the leader of the new Wonders, formulating the plan to attack Dherain before the World’s Army can intervene. This will allow Alan’s television network to spin the appearance of the Wonders to their advantage, and force the World’s Army to let them operate freely. From inside Alan’s Manhattan apartment to the chaotic war-fields of Dherain, each panel exudes energy and action. All the Wonders get a chance to showcase their fighting skills, with each one’s powers on full display against the armies of Dherain. There is so much to take in that it might be too much action, but if that’s the worst of your problems, you’ve got a damn good book on your hands.
Things get complicated as the World’s Army arrives, with some familiar and new faces in tow.
As I said before, the artwork is stunning, especially when it comes to the Wonders demonstrating their abilities. I can safely say that this is the best drawn Doctor Fate I have ever seen, and with Nikola and Trevor Scott back behind the wheel the quality of art should stay strong. With issue after issue not pushing the story forward, it gets a kick in the rear thanks to the actions of Green Lantern, Flash, and Doctor Fate. By charging into battle and facing off with both Dherain and the World’s Army, the Wonders will be having more of an impact on the world around them going forward. They just have to survive the upcoming battle first!
- The Sandmen seemed really cool until one gets his head blown up. Got to catch them by surprise.
- Having the Wonders work together with the World’s Army goes a long way to pushing the story along. I like the decision.
- Also, Mister Terrific is now working for Kahn! Has his brainwashing been reversed? Or has Sloan been planning for this?
- Steppenwolf releases The Hunger Dogs to fight the Wonder; they are Brutaal, Bedlam, and Beguiler.
Favorite Quote: “My mom’s house is ruined thanks to you, you big ass.” “Whatever.” – Flash and The Atom
- You’ve been waiting for the story to pick up.
- You want an opportunity to see all the Wonders fight (except Hawkgirl)
- Nikola and Trevor Scott are your favorite artists, or you just appreciate high-quality art.
- You want to jump on. Join the wagon!
Overall: The start of the war against Steppenwolf starts off with some beautiful art and a coming-together of Wonders that has the story ready to rocket forward.