2016 was one of the most anticipated years for fans of DC Comics movies. For the first time ever we got to see Batman and Superman (and Wonder Woman) together on the big screen in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. And if that wasn’t big enough, we got to see Harley Quinn, The Joker, Deadshot, and other villains come to life in Suicide Squad.
Before we get ready for even more exciting news next year, let’s take a look back at the biggest stories of 2016. Below is a list of the most popular articles that I’ve published on Batman News, based on web traffic.
- Epic new ‘Suicide Squad’ trailer from the MTV Movie Awards
- The Suicide Squad trailer that premiered at the MTV Movie Awards was the #1 story on Batman News by far, thanks to it going viral on Facebook. It was an awesome trailer, and features footage of Jared Leto’s Joker that we never got to see in any version of the movie. “Bye bye,” a burnt up Joker yells as he throws a smoke bomb.
- ‘Batman v Superman’ director’s cut has been rated R by the MPAA
- This one was a huge surprise! Before Warner Bros. could announce it, the MPAA put out a bulletin announcing that an “Ultimate Edition” Blu-ray of Batman v Superman had been rated R. We would later find out that this was a 3 hour director’s cut from Zack Snyder, and the version that he wanted Warner Bros. to release in theaters.
- Final ‘Batman v Superman’ trailer shows Batman in action
- The final trailer for Batman v Superman was actually leaked out early by a production company. It’s surprise release caught everyone off guard, but it was an amazing final trailer. It started off with what I consider to be the best scene in any Batman movie… that epic warehouse fight!
- Jared Leto: They cut “a lot” of my Joker scenes out of ‘Suicide Squad’
- The biggest story following the release of Suicide Squad was about Jared Leto’s Joker. He wasn’t shy in interviews explaining that he shot a lot more footage than we ended up seeing in the final cut. He was clearly frustrated by how much smaller his role ended up being, and would go on to say that he shot enough footage for “an entire Joker movie“.
- Zack Snyder, Henry Cavill, and more respond to poor ‘Batman v Superman’ reviews (video)
- Batman v Superman did not receive many positive reviews from critics. During a UK press tour shortly after the reviews hit the web, Zack Snyder, Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, and more reacted to the poor response. Snyder seemed absolutely crushed, and a Ben Affleck meme was born! “Hello darkness my old friend…”
2017 is shaping up to be an even bigger year! We have a Wonder Woman movie coming in June, a Justice League movie coming in November, but that’s not all! In the spring, Ben Affleck will start shooting his very own Batman movie, which he will also direct and write. James Wan will begin shooting Aquaman in Australia as well.
It’s going to be an amazing year, and I can’t thank you all enough for making Batman News the biggest site online for DC news! It was even voted “best comic book website” by the Disqus community. Have a happy and safe new year, and I’ll see you all in 2017!