Just by their very nature, DC’s new Ink and Zoom lines are pretty exciting. Imprints aimed at young and young adult readers, with stories featuring beloved characters backed up by all-star creative teams? We need more of this in the world.
But the fact that Art Baltazar and Franco are reuniting for a Superman book? If I wasn’t already, now I’m sold. Put their names on something and I’m there.
This morning, DC have announced new titles for the fall 2019 wave of Zoom and Ink books, along with a handful of books for 2020. There’s some really great stuff here, like a DC Super Hero Girls book from new series writer Amy Wolfram and longtime penciler Yancey Labat, a new take on the Swamp Thing mythos with some clever nods to creators Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson, an adaptation of Mari Lu’s Batman: Nightwalker novel, and the aforementioned Baltazar/Franco joint. What’s more, all 2019 titles are now available for pre-order, so click on the accompanying links for each to secure yours when they go on sale.
New Middle Grade Graphic Novels Include:
THE SECRET SPIRAL OF SWAMP KID by Kirk Scroggs
DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: AT METROPOLIS HIGH by Amy Wolfram and Yancey Labat
On-Sale Dates Confirmed for Highly Anticipated Middle Grade and Young Adult Graphic Novels by Bestselling Authors Meg Cabot, Shannon and Dean Hale, Minh Lê,
Mariko Tamaki and Others
DC announced today new details surrounding its young reader imprints—DC Zoom and DC Ink—and revealed first looks at titles scheduled for release in fall 2019.
The cornerstone of today’s span announcement are two new graphic novels from DC’s middle grade imprint—DC Zoom—that will debut in October 2019:
- THE SECRET SPIRAL OF SWAMP KID by acclaimed writer and illustrator Kirk Scroggs tells a lighthearted coming-of-age tale about a half-human/half-plant boy named Russell Weinwright. The book is completely written and drawn in first-person journal entries and features a fun, innovative lined notebook-style format.
- DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: AT METROPOLIS HIGH marks the first DC Super Hero Girls (DCSHG) graphic novel by new series writer Amy Wolfram. Wolfram is joined by DCSHG veteran artist Yancey Labat for this original story set in the same universe as the new DC Super Hero Girls animated series created by Lauren Faust that will air Sundays at 4 p.m. ET/PT on Cartoon Network beginning March 17, 2019.
THE SECRET SPIRAL OF SWAMP KID and DCSHG: AT METROPOLIS HIGH will be joined this fall by previously announced DC Zoom titles by Meg Cabot and Cara McGee, Shannon and Dean Hale with Victoria Ying, and Minh Lê and Andie Tong, among others. Books published under the DC Zoom banner target middle grade readers ages 8-12 and tell stories focused on friends, family and growing up.
DC has also confirmed on-sale dates and shared early looks at forthcoming titles from DC Ink—the publisher’s new young adult graphic novel line. DC Ink books feature thought-provoking stories for readers ages 13+ that focus on everyday aspirations, struggles and triumphs. The current DC Ink slate for fall 2019 includes HARLEY QUINN: BREAKING GLASS from Mariko Tamaki and Steve Pugh, and Marie Lu’s BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER prose novel adapted in graphic form by Stuart Moore with art by Chris Wildgoose.
See below for complete creative teams and on-sale dates for all DC Zoom and DC Ink titles debuting in 2019 and January 2020. All 2019 titles are available to preorder now.
- DC Zoom (ages 8-12):
- SUPER SONS: THE POLARSHIELD PROJECT (April 2, 2019)—written by Ridley Pearson and illustrated by Ile Gonzalez
- DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: SPACED OUT (June 4, 2019)—written by Shea Fontana and illustrated by Agnes Garbowska
- DEAR JUSTICE LEAGUE (August 6, 2019)—written by Michael Northrop and illustrated by Gustavo Duarte
- SUPERMAN OF SMALLVILLE(September 3, 2019)—written by Art Baltazar and Franco and Illustrated by Art Baltazar
- THE SECRET SPIRAL OF SWAMP KID(October 1, 2019)—written and illustrated by Kirk Scroggs
- DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: AT METROPOLIS HIGH(October 15, 2019)—written by Amy Wolfram and illustrated by Yancey Labat
- BLACK CANARY: IGNITE(November 5, 2019)—written by Meg Cabot and illustrated by Cara McGee
- SUPER SONS: THE FOXGLOVE MISSION(November 5, 2019)—written by Ridley Pearson and illustrated by Ile Gonzalez
- DIANA, PRINCESS OF THE AMAZONS(January 7, 2020)—written by Shannon and Dean Hale and illustrated by Victoria Ying
- GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY(January 21, 2020)—written by Minh Lê and illustrated by Andie Tong
- DC Ink (ages 13+):
- MERA: TIDEBREAKER(April 2, 2019)—written by Danielle Paige and illustrated by Stephen Byrne
- UNDER THE MOON: A CATWOMAN TALE(May 7, 2019)—written by Lauren Myracle and illustrated by Isaac Goodhart
- TEEN TITANS: RAVEN(July 2019)—written by Kami Garcia and illustrated by Gabriel Picolo
- HARLEY QUINN: BREAKING GLASS(September 3, 2019)—written by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by Steve Pugh
- BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER(October 1, 2019)—adapted by Stuart Moore from Marie Lu’s prose novel for the DC Icon series and illustrated by Chris Wildgoose
All 2019 titles are available now for pre-order.
This post was originally published on Comics Now, with minor modifications made.
Fun Jug Media, LLC (operating Batman-News.com) has affiliate partnerships with various companies. These do not at any time have any influence on the editorial content of Batman News. Fun Jug Media LLC may earn a commission from these links.