There’s been a lot of Batman comics news this year, as the Dark Knight has had a greater presence in the comics than… possibly ever. One of the most interesting, unexpected, and intriguing bits of news was the announcement that Danny DeVito, Batman Returns‘ Oswald Cobblepot himself, would be writing a Penguin story for an upcoming comic.
Even better, the absolutely incredible Dan Mora would be providing pencils for DeVito’s script, and DC Comics have provided a first look at the short. Titled “Bird Cat Love,” DC pitch the story as a “fun heist story/romance,” and if you know me, you know I love a good heist.
Romances are neat too, I guess.
Check out the gallery below for a first look at DeVito and Mora’s story, followed by the press release details from DC and another gallery featuring the issue’s main cover and variants.
DC First Look – “Bird Cat Love,” From the Gotham City Villains Anniversary Giant #1!
A 100-Page Celebration of the Worst Villains to Ever Bedevil Batman and His Allies, Presented by Some of the Most Talented Names in Comics
An Incredible Selection of Variant Covers Available for Pre-Order at Participating Comic Book Shops
Gotham City may be protected by the Dark Knight, but the home of Batman and his allies is also plagued by some of the deadliest, most nefarious villains in the DC Universe! In this oversize anniversary giant, DC proudly presents tales of Batman’s deadliest foes written and drawn by some of the biggest, most exciting names in comics!
Celebrated Villains, Celebrated Storytellers!
This anthology marks the anniversary year of Oswald Cobblepot, a.k.a. The Penguin and is celebrated by special Penguin/Catwoman story by acclaimed actor, screenwriter, and producer Danny DeVito, who immortalized the character in the 1992 hit movie Batman Returns. DeVito teams up with fan-favorite artist Dan Mora (Detective Comics) on a fun heist story/romance between The Penguin and his “crush” from Batman Returns, Catwoman.
This anthology also celebrates the anniversaries of other Bat-baddies, with stories spotlighting:
- The Scarecrow (story and art by Wes Craig)
- Poison Ivy (written by G. Willow Wilson, art by Emma Rios)
- Ra’s al Ghul (written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson, art by Riccardo Federici)
- Talia al Ghul (written by Nadia Shammas & Joshua Williamson, art by Max Raynor)
- The original Red Hood (written by Stephanie Phillips, art by Max Fiumara)
- The Mad Hatter (written by Dan Watters, art by Skylar Patridge)
- Killer Moth (written by Mairghread Scott, art by Ariela Kristantina)
Highly Collectible Variant Covers!
Not only does this must-have anthology celebrate popular Bat-villains, but fans can visit their local comic book shops to pre-order the Gotham City Villains Anniversary #1 and choose one or more of the most breathtaking variant covers ever seen!
- Main cover by Lee Bermejo
- The Penguin variant cover by Frank Quitely
- The Scarecrow variant cover by Wes Craig and Jason Wordie
- Poison Ivy variant cover by Marguerite Sauvage
- Talia and Ra’s al Ghul variant cover by Riccardo Federici
- Killer Moth, Red Hood and Mad Hatter variant cover by Dan Mora
- Batman/Villains 1:25 ratio variant cover by Francesco Mattina
- Batman/Penguin 1:50 ratio variant cover by Chris Burnham and Nathan Fairbairn
The Gotham City Villains Anniversary Giant #1 arrives in comic book stores and participating digital retailers Tuesday, November 30, 2021. For more information on Gotham City’s worst villains, you can check out the website at www.dccomics.com. The DC UNIVIERSE INFINITE digital subscription service includes great stories from DC’s history; for more information and a free trial, visit the DC UNIVERSE INFINITE website at www.dcuniverseinfinite.com.
Gotham City Villains Anniversary Giant #1 will hit comic shops and digital retailers on November 30.